Hot Day approaches the finish line

Hot Day is essentially ready for release — just waiting on some paperwork hiccups related to me falling behind schedule by a week or so. We’ve been iterating on an escape-room game at the same time, so juggling time between the two projects has been tough.

Paperwork

This was 100% a silly oversight on my part, but I’ve been constantly building Hot Day to my iPhone for testing, so I mistakenly thought that all the Apple Developer account stuff was set up properly. It turns out I was using my personal iCloud account, which allows for stuff like running apps from Xcode, but it does not allow you to publish to the App Store. Thus, we’re set back by a few days while we get that enrollment process down.

Music

There were also some strange issues with finding music. We found two separate songs that we wanted to use for the primary music track, but both had technical obstacles. One of them was through Incompetech. Apparently their Sellfy integration with PayPal imploded or something, and I can’t properly pay for the download. I’ve contacted Sellfy’s support about the issue, but I won’t hold my breath. The final version might end up simply music-less, which isn’t too bad, considering we do feature the ambient sounds of a big city during gameplay.

Image Effects

During the first week of tweaking the camera and voxel model placement, I noticed that Unity’s Post Processing Stack seemed to be throwing all sorts of warnings in the editor, and seemingly freezing up during initial builds. At the time, I chalked it up to its incompatibility/instability with mobile devices (specifically Metal). However, it turns out that, according to the Unity team, the very first build involving the PPS will take extraordinarily long, but subsequently it will proceed at a normal pace.

So I threw it back in, waited about 8-10 minutes while it was building, and it seems that performance is still acceptable. Without it, I was stuck with nothing more than a simple, lightweight anti-aliasing script to smooth out some jagged lines. But with the PPS, I get that juicy AO back, which is so crucial to the voxel look. The final cutscene (when you’ve beaten the game) also utilizes depth-of-field! I’m glad I decided to patiently wait it out.

Final Bug Fixes

Anyway, it’s actually really cool to see a Unity project come to life on an actual iPhone. There were some super tiny initial bugs, but they’ve been squashed. For example, you can see this image of the Game Boy telling you that there are -1 days left to complete this level.

From here, the only bugs I can remotely see happening are related to the ads, which I’m not too worried about, because Unity Ads seems surprisingly easy to wrangle, as it supports a simple case switch to see whether the ad was skipped, completed, or never loaded (e.g. no data connection).

In the meantime, we’re inches away from submitting it for App Store approval, so fingers crossed!

Leave a Reply